Tuesday, April 24, 2012



Entry 4

Throughout creating my annotated bibliography, my opinion about happiness was skewed just a little bit. I realized that happiness is looked upon in so many different ways by so many different people whether a credible source or not. Some opinions that I have come across I have completely agreed with and learned a lot, while others I have disagreed for the most part. I realized that a lot of people measure happiness financially, meaning that being employed and having a good salary can be the root of some happiness. This in fact, is true to some extent in my opinion. This is because I do not see it as the money bringing the happiness, but being financially free and independent. Being able to support your family and have a peace of mind that you are secure. Not having to worry about money problems and being able to enjoy being with your family more often can bring a lot of happiness. So if you look at it that way, then I agree with you. Not the money itself but the security for you and your family to not have to worry about all of these financial problems. If you aren't living paycheck to paycheck and aren't struggling to survive then yes, you can look at that as being successful which causes you happiness.
I still think that most people are not exactly sure if they are happy. I think that one of the greatest quotes in the world is "you don't know what you have until it's gone". I think that this saying is completely and totally 100% true. I say this from personal experience. A lot of people drag their feet in life and gripe and complain about all the little things that bug them. But when something major occurs to something or some one they love, those little things don't seem to bug them anymore. They start to realize that the way things were going was actually good, and if they could they would give anything to go back to it. Sometimes it's too late then, and sometimes it's not. That's why I think most of this world needs to learn to appreciate what they have and where they stand in life a lot more than they do currently. Some people just need that wake up call, the one I have recieved more than once now.
I think that people can be happy in life if they really want to be. Sure, success and money can bring people some form of happiness, whether it lasts long or not. I will reiterate one more time that family and friends bring the most happiness to some one. But the last point I wanted to make is that if you are looking to be happy, you will find it sonner or later. If you knock out the bad things in life and focus on the good, you will be much better off than if you do the opposite. I struggle with this more than just about anyone. And that concludes all of my thoughts on what makes people truly happy.

Entry 3

One thing that one of my sources said that I did not quite agree with was the fact that in order to get rid of the unhappiness in our lives we have to eliminate desire. He says that desire is the root of all unhappiness. Wait, what? I disagree with this because I feel like if we don't have any desire in our lives than we really don't have much to live for. Yes, unhappiness can come by the failing of achieving what we desire. But if we rule out desire all together than how can we achieve happiness? Everyone is going to fail things in their lives and everyone is going to be unhappy at times. But in order to be truly happy we have to go through those tough times. That is what makes us better as a whole.
If we go around not caring about anything and not wanting to do or achieve anything in order to not be let down or become unhappy, then what in the world are we living for? The more I think about this the more I realize how absurd it actually is. It is like not going to play golf because you think you will suck and get mad. It is like not going in for a job interview because you don't think you have a good chance of getting the job. Well, if you don't do it, then how do you expect to get it. If you eliminate all desire to do things, then you will never achieve anything and will never be happy. So yes, maybe, just maybe you will be able to eliminate unhappiness by eliminating desire, but won't doing that just end up causing more unhappiness? Being completely dull and not doing anything with your life? For some, they may be great and they could be happy by doing that, but I know for me there is no way that I could ever be happy by eliminating the desire in my life.

Entry 2

One of my sources stated that happiness comes from family, and I think that is completely and totally true. I have realized over the past years that what I thought made me happy and unhappy were completely off. It is not until pretty recently that I realized what realize does bring happiness, at least for me in my life. Through whatever you are going through, the good times and the horrible times, family is always there for you. It doesn't even have to be blood related family, but your family in general, the people that you love. When you lose family it is the most devastating thing that could ever happen. Family always has your back and they are always the people you go to when you are struggling. Sometimes you don't know what you have until it is gone. This is why I believe that above all thing family is most important and they are what will truly bring you happiness.
Bruno Frey says in the book "Happiness: A Revolution in Economics" that according to sruveys and studies that people who are employed tend to be extremely happier than those without a job. But it also said that with this comes differences in age. He says that employment is a bigger deciding factor for happiness in adults that are middle aged, kind of at the rise or right in the middle of their careers. He says that it does not affect people who are teenagers or young adults as much, as long with elders.
The thing is though, what happens when all of those successful people get off work for the day or for the weekend? Who says they are happier during the holiday's when they are supposed to be with their families? Sure, it must be nice to be financially free and able to do what you want pretty much when you want because you have the funds. But what happens if you have no one to spend it with? If you put your work life ahead of your personal life and cause loved ones to resent you? Are you happy then? I'm not saying that all those successful people out there who don't have any loved ones was a result of their own actions, but I'm sure their are plenty out there who brought it upon themselves, and therefore have a sufficient amount of money but have no one out there to care for or care for them and therefore CAN'T CLAIM TO BE HAPPY!!

Entry 1

My line of inquiry was rooted from the general idea of what makes people happy. I chose to do this because I for one thought that it was very interesting but also it was just something that I kept coming back to over and over again when outlining my ideas for the question I was going to do. I think that people have a hard time trying to figure what really makes them happy, or what happiness means in general. A lot of people out there think that they are happy, when they are really not. With that said, there are those who have all they really need to be happy, those who are coveted by others, and yet they do not realize it and therefore are also not happy. These are just some of the ideas and concepts that I was thinking about when I chose my question. I think that if more people could understand what happiness truly is and what really makes them happy, the population in general would just be a better place.
You see, in my opinion and throughout my research I have concluded what I think makes people happy. Throughout seeing it in myself, seeing it in other people, and just living life in general I have come to realize that your relationships with your family and others close to you are what really make you happy. It is not being successful, being rich, having lots of talents, high up on the chain of government officials, none of that. At the end of the day those who have there family or other close ones to fall back on and go to when things aren't going good (or going great) are the ones who can say that they are truly happy. Some may not admit this or agree to this, but they will find out soon enough. Throughout my life I have come to realize that this is most definitely true.
I heard this theory for the first time about a year ago from my grandpa, and when he said it I didn't disagree, but I didn't agree either. He told me that no matter what I do in life or where I go that family should always be number one. And I came to find out htat he was most certainly right. So while I was brainstorming what my topic should be it finally clicked that I want to be able to show that family is the main cause of happiness in a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment